Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Narcissistic Walt and Non-Competitive Alisha

Walt Whitman is among the first American poets. It's true, he's pretty much the shiz of poetry, almost every American poet since Whitman can't help but draw from him. Unfortunately, if you read his work, "Song of Myself", it's hard to avoid how much he really adores himself. Annoyingly so. I cannot deny his genius, but can't help but comment that reading "Song of Myself" was somewhat excruciating (seriously Walt? Over a hundred pages of prose dedicated to yourself?...then again, what is a blog if not a overtly lengthy self reflection?).

One phrase did stick out to me. "...battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won" (yup, that's it. Out of a hundred pages I connected with twelve words...not say the rest wasn't interesting, the passage about "twenty eight men bathe by the shore"was an adventure...just not applicable to me). Anyhow, back to analyzing how this phrase affected me. I'm not really a fan of competition. I suppose this originates from my supressed perfectionism that insists I want to be the best or nothing at all. I remember in high school debate I'd be so torn up about getting second place, while my coach and peers were congratulating me, I was contemplating quitting...bizarre! Whitman points out that it doesn't really matter if you win or lose, it's the "spirit of the battle" that teaches you. I would be better off taking chances, pushing aside perfectionism, and delving into the battle (even if it means last place!!) than standing safely ignorant on the sidelines.

What battles am I avoiding now? Couldn't say, but it's something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your thoughts about perfectionism and the spirit of the battle. It was something I really could relate to. Thanks Lisha! That is all.

    ReplyDelete