Saturday, November 27, 2010

Langston Hughes



This happy looking dude is Langston Hughes. A fantastic African-American poet who lived from 1906-1967. He's very assecible. Anyone could read his poetry, and appreciate/understand it. The most common theme dealt with in his poetry is racism and the African-American identity. I recently read all of his written poetry and fully enjoyed every moment. poets.org has an awesome recording of Hughes reading his poem, "The Negro Speaks of Rivers" which is one of my favorites.

I, Too, Sing American (probably his most popular poem)

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.

If you're interested in expanding your knowlege of poets/poetry, Hughes would be an awesome start.

No comments:

Post a Comment